Story one was well-received, and I got some excellent critiques and suggestions for it from my classmates and Nancy Kress.
Folks hit the things I knew needing fixing, and pointed out a lot of ways to work on them, and they pointed out all sorts of other things that need fixing, too, that I hadn’t realized. Which is awesome.
I felt the story was pretty first-drafty, and since I tend to do several drafts before I call it done, I’m feeling good about it where it’ll be able to go when I get to rewriting it.
Now I’m moving onto story two, which is an outgrowth of the scene exercise we did for Paul Park last week. It’s good that I’ve got the core of the story to build on, but I’m still figuring out how I’m making it more resonant, and never mind the scenes that come before and after.
Oof, and I’ve got four stories to critique.